Composition is always a very important element of interesting photographs. One of the most important concepts in composing a successful photograph is the rule of thirds. For centuries, visual artists have used the concept to add interest, balance and energy to their compositions.
The rule of thirds divides your viewfinder equally by thirds, both vertically and horizontally. You want to place your subject near where the lines intersect. Refer to “Point of View” on page 42 for a more in-depth explanation of the rule of thirds.
Your images can include any subject, even selfies, that illustrates the rule of thirds. Images will be judged most heavily on composition; however, judges will also look for interesting subject matter, exposure and quality of light.
- The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers. For the purposes of this competition, you are considered a professional if you regularly sell your images or garner more than 50 percent of your income from photography.
- Photographs must have been taken by you.
- A photographer can enter no more than three photographs. There is no cost to enter.
- A completed entry form (below) must be included with every photograph entered. Omitting any of this information can result in disqualification.
- Extensive digital manipulation of photographs is prohibited. Limit the use of photo-editing software. Adjusting exposure, color balance, contrast and sharpness is allowed, but highly manipulating colors and content of images is not.
- Employees of Tennessee’s electric cooperatives and their immediate families are not eligible to win.
- Please include the name of each recognizable person, if any other than yourself, in your photograph. It is the photographer’s responsibility to have the subject’s permission to enter his or her image in the contest. You must include the subject’s name and contact information with your submission. Omitting any of this information can result in disqualification.
- By entering the contest, photographers automatically give The Tennessee Magazine permission to publish the winning images in print and digital publications, social media and on websites.
Entries must be entered online by midnight or postmarked by Wednesday, Jan. 31. Winners will published in the March issue.
Judges will select a first-, second- and third-place winner in each division and age group. These prizes will be awarded: First place wins $150, second place $100 and third place $50.
Submissions — mail prints or enter online
- Photographs must be entered as unmounted, 5-by-7-inch or larger prints or submitted using the form below. Please don’t mail your only print of a photo. Because of large numbers of entries, prints will not be returned.
- Enter online or send entries to The Tennessee Magazine, Rule of Thirds Photo Contest, P.O. Box 100912, Nashville, TN 37224.