Your subject matter could include a sunrise or sunset, any object or person or any scenic landscape illuminated by golden hour sunlight. Judges will look at the quality of light as well as the composition and subject matter to choose the winners.
Images can include people or not, and they can be selfies. They do not have to be taken in Tennessee. As you accept this challenge, please stay safe. We don’t want anyone to take a tumble in the name of the Shutterbug contest.
- The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers. For the purposes of this competition, you are considered a professional if you regularly sell your images or garner more than 50 percent of your income from photography.
- Photographs must have been taken by you.
- A photographer can enter no more than three photographs. There is no cost to enter.
- A completed entry form (below) must be attached to the back of every photograph entered. You can photocopy the form from the magazine or enter online below. Omitting any of this information can result in disqualification.
- Extensive digital manipulation of photographs is prohibited. Limit the use of photo-editing software. Adjusting exposure, color balance, contrast and sharpness is allowed, but highly manipulating colors and content of images is not.
- Employees of Tennessee’s electric cooperatives and their immediate families are not eligible to win.
- Please include the name of each recognizable person, if any other than yourself, in your photograph. It is the photographer’s responsibility to have the subject’s permission to enter his or her image in the contest. You must include the subject’s name and contact information with your submission. Omitting any of this information can result in disqualification.
- By entering the contest, photographers automatically give The Tennessee Magazine permission to publish the winning images in print and digital publications, to social media and on websites.
Submissions — mail prints or enter online
- Photographs must be entered as unmounted, 5-by-7-inch or larger prints or submitted online below. Please don’t mail your only print of a photo. Because of large numbers of entries, prints will not be returned.
- Enter online or send entries to The Tennessee Magazine, “Simplicity” Photo Contest, P.O. Box 100912, Nashville, TN 37224.
Entries must be entered online by midnight or postmarked by Saturday, July 20. Winners will published in the September issue.
Judges will select a first-, second- and third-place winner in each division and age group. These prizes will be awarded: First place wins $150, second place $100 and third place $50.