Smartphone photography didn’t exist just a few years ago. But today, smartphones have incredible abilities to capture countless photographs with sharpness and stunning color. They give everyone the ability to be a photographer.
We are opening this shutterbug contest to any subject matter and allowing more post processing. Once you capture your image, you can send it just like it is or choose to process it with any of the numerous photography apps out there for smartphones.
Judges will look at the quality of light as well as the composition and subject matter to choose the winners.
Images can include people or not, and they can be selfies. They do not have to be taken in Tennessee. As you accept this challenge, please stay safe. We don’t want anyone to take a tumble in the name of the Shutterbug contest.
- The contest is open to amateur and professional photographers. For the purposes of this competition, you are considered a professional if you regularly sell your images or garner more than 50 percent of your income from photography.
- Photographs must have been taken by you.
- A photographer can enter no more than three photographs. There is no cost to enter.
- All entries must be made online. We won’t accept prints for this contest.
- Employees of Tennessee’s electric cooperatives and their immediate families are not eligible to win.
- Please include the name of each recognizable person, if any other than yourself, in your photograph. It is the photographer’s responsibility to have the subject’s permission to enter his or her image in the contest. You must include the subject’s name and contact information with your submission. Omitting any of this information can result in disqualification.
- By entering the contest, photographers automatically give The Tennessee Magazine permission to publish the winning images in print and digital publications, to social media and on websites.
Entries must be entered online by midnight (Central Standard Time) on Saturday, Jan. 25. Winners will be published in the March issue.
Judges will select a first-, second- and third-place winner in each division and age group. These prizes will be awarded: First place wins $150, second place $100 and third place $50.
Submissions — online entries only
Use the form below.