Gingerbread with Caramelized Apples Recipe
By October 1, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8-10 servings (8 Servings)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 apples peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon ginger ground
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg ground
- 1 tablespoon ginger diced, candied
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream divided
- 1 cup pecans ground, toasted
- Combine sugar and water in a large sauté pan and cook over high heat until sugar turns golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not stir until sugar starts to brown. Add apples and cook until they are tender and the caramel is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixer bowl combine butter, brown sugar and honey, mixing well on high speed. Add eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each one before adding the next. Add cooked apples and mix well. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, candied ginger and baking soda. Add half of flour mixture to egg mixture. Add half of sour cream and mix well. Add remaining flour mixture and mix well. Stir in remaining sour cream and add pecans. Mix well and pour into prepared pan. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean.