Seafood gumbo Recipe
By September 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups onions chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced, divided
- 2 32-ounce cartons chicken stock low-sodium
- 1 pound shrimp small, peeled
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 2/3 cup shucked small oysters with their liquor
- 1 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- cooked rice hot
- hot sauce
- Place the oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 35 minutes or until the roux is a dark reddish brown.
- Add the bell peppers, celery, onions and garlic and cook about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the stock in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the roux mixture in large spoonfuls, stirring well after each addition. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the crabmeat and oysters with their liquor and simmer another 2 minutes or until the edges of the oysters begin to curl. Stir in the green onions, salt, white pepper and cayenne. Serve warm, ladled over hot cooked rice with hot sauce.