Strawberry Lemon Squares Recipe
By May 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon zest divided
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter cold
- 2 8-ounce package cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 pint fresh strawberries washed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon zest. Using a pastry blender or two forks, cut in the butter until crumbly. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, place the cream cheese and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat at medium speed until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time and blend until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice and set aside.
- Spread the preserves evenly over the warm crust and top with the cream cheese mixture. Bake an additional 30 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, cut into squares and top with a dollop of whipped cream and a whole strawberry.