Blueberry Lemon French Toast Casserole Recipe
By February 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 12 slices French bread (1 baguette)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- blueberry syrup optional
- Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place 6 of the bread slices in the bottom of the dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, syrup, lemon extract and cinnamon. Pour half over the bread slices. Top with half of the blueberries. Repeat the layers of bread, milk mixture and blueberries. Top with the almonds and sprinkle evenly with the brown sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover and bake 55 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving warm with blueberry syrup, if desired.
- Raspberry or Blackberry variation: Substitute fresh or frozen raspberries or blackberries for the blueberries. Then substitute almond extract for the lemon and top it off with maple syrup instead of blueberry.