Candied Cherry Fudge Recipe
By December 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 36 pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/3 cup candied red cherries coarsely chopped
- Line a loaf pan with foil, making sure to extend the foil over the edges of the pan. Grease the foil and set aside.
- Grease a 2-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. Add the sugar, half-and-half, milk, corn syrup and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan.
- Continue cooking and stirring occasionally until the thermometer reaches 236 degrees or the soft ball stage (around 20 minutes total). Remove from the heat and immediately add the butter and extract, but do not stir. Cool without stirring about 20 minutes or until the candy thermometer reaches 170 degrees. Remove the thermometer and beat the mixture vigorously with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes. Add the cherries and beat for 1 minute longer.
- Pour into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Let stand for at least 30 minutes or until the fudge is firm. Use the foil to lift out the fudge when ready to serve. Cut in slices and store leftovers tightly covered.