Cheese Grits with Mixed Mushroom Sauté Recipe
By March 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 4-ounce packages wild mushrooms chopped
- 1 8-ounce package button mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup grits quick-cooking
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 cup fontina or provolone cheese shredded, divided
- Place the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the wild and button mushrooms and sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, thyme and oregano and cook 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/3 cup of the stock, along with the lemon juice and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the milk and remaining stock in a medium saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, lightly grease four individual gratin dishes or ramekins and place on a baking sheet. Set aside. Preheat the broiler on high. Add the grits and salt to the boiling milk mixture and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Fold in half of the cheese, stirring until smooth. Divide the grits among the gratin dishes and top with the remaining cheese. Broil 5 minutes. Top each serving with 1/2 cup of the mushroom mixture and serve immediately.