Classic German Potato Salad Recipe
By July 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes cut in 1-inch cubes
- 8 bacon slices
- 1 red onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of salted cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels and crumble when cool enough to handle. Add the onions and garlic to the bacon grease and sauté 4 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Add to the onion mixture and cook 2 minutes to thicken. Gently stir in the potatoes, dill, parsley and crumbled bacon, tossing to well coat. Serve warm.