Cold Tomatillo and Cumin Salsa Recipe
By August 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 3 cups
- 1 pound timatillos husked and cored
- 1 small sweet onion peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 jalapeno pepper halved and seeded
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Blue corn chips
- Place the tomatillos, onions, garlic and jalapeno in a large saucepan and cover with water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer 8 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small, dry skillet, toast the cumin seeds over medium heat for 2 minutes, shaking the pan constantly. Transfer the seeds to a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and let cool slightly. Grind the seeds to a powder.
- Transfer the drained vegetables to a blender. Add the ground cumin, cilantro, sugar and salt. Puree until smooth. Pour into a serving dish, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Serve cold with blue corn chips.