Ham Au Gratin Recipe
By March 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sweet onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 1/2 cups potatoes thinly sliced
- 3 cups cooked ham chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
- Place the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When melted, add the onions and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Blend in the flour and gradually stir in the milk. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly until thick. Add the cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Layer 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/3 of the ham and 1/3 of the cheese sauce, in that order, in the prepared baking dish. Repeat the layers, ending with the sauce. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.