Old-Fashioned Potato Soup Recipe
By January 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 sweet onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes room temperature
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups milk room temperature
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream for garnish
- green onions sliced for garnish
- bacon cooked and crumbled for garnish
- Place the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute longer. Add the potatoes, milk and cheese and stir well to blend. Cook until the mixture nearly comes to a boil, around 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add more potatoes if you want the soup to be thick or more milk if you like the soup thinner. Garnish servings with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of green onions and bacon. Serve warm.