Perfect Divinity Recipe
By December 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 38 candies
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cover a large baking sheet with waxed paper and lightly coat with cooking spray. Grease 2 small spoons and set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt. Place over medium-high heat and attach a candy thermometer (see note below). Stir only until the sugar dissolves.
- As the temperature approaches 240 degrees, place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand electric mixer and beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- When the temperature of the sugar mixture reaches 250 degrees, very gradually add it in a steady stream to the egg whites, beating at medium-high speed. Add the extract and continue beating until the candy holds its shape, around 5 minutes.
- Quickly drop onto the waxed paper using the greased spoons. Cool completely (see note below), then store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Variation: Butter Pecan Divinity — Substitute butter extract for the vanilla and add 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans.
- Variation: Brandied Walnut Divinity — Substitute brandy extract for the vanilla and add 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts.
- Variation: Almond Divinity — Substitute pure almond extract for the vanilla and add 1/3 cup slivered almonds.
- Variation: Cherry Divinity — Substitute maraschino cherry juice for the vanilla and add 1/3 cup chopped maraschino or candied cherries and 1/3 cup chopped nuts.
- Variation: Peppermint Divinity — Decrease the vanilla extract to 1/2 teaspoon and add 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Also add 1/3 cup crushed peppermint candy.
- Variation: Chocolate Divinity — Add 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate pieces to the mixture at the same time as the extract and stir until melted.
- Variation: Cinnamon Red Hot Divinity — Add 1/3 cup cinnamon red hot candies to the syrup mixture.
- Variation: Tropical Divinity — Decrease the vanilla extract to 1/2 teaspoon and add 1/2 teaspoon of rum extract. Also add 1/3 cup diced candied pineapple and 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts.