Spicy Baked Corn Recipe
By July 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small red or green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 large shallot peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs dry
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 11/2-quart baking dish and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and shallots and cook 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, paprika, dry mustard, cayenne and black pepper. Set aside. In a separate small bowl, lightly beat the egg yolk and set aside.
- When the peppers and shallots are softened, stir in the flour mixture and cook 1 minute longer. Gradually add the milk or half-and-half and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Slowly stir 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk. Add the egg mixture and the corn into the skillet, stirring to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and top evenly with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving warm.