Spinach and Sausage Casserole Recipe
By January 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh basil sliced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion or garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach packed
- 4 cups cubed whole-grain bread
- 1 1/2 cups cooked diced chicken sausage
- 3/4 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 3/4 cup mozzarella or Pepper Jack cheese shredded
- Grease an 11-by-7-inch baking dish and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, basil, mustard, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, bread cubes, sausage and artichokes. Add the egg mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, allow the casserole to sit, covered, at room temperature for 15 minutes. Bake covered for 40-45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until puffed and golden on top. Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack before serving warm.