By November 1, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 4 squash mirlitons or chayote
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 onion small, sweet, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram dried
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese sharp, shredded
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs soft
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped, fresh
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the squash,covered, for 10 minutes. Drain and cool. Scoop out the pulp, leaving the outer shells intact. Chop the pulp and set aside, along with the shells.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon, leaving the drippings in the skillet, and crumble into bacon bits. Combine the bacon bits and squash pulp in a mixing bowl and set aside. Add the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, marjoram and thyme to the skillet. Cook 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the onions to the squash bowl and stir in the Cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs and parsley. Mix well and spoon into the reserved shells and place on a lightly greased jellyroll pan. Sprinkle tops with the Parmesan and bake uncovered 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender. Let stand 5 minutes and serve.