Summer Black-Eyed Pea Salad Recipe
By July 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3 slices bacon
- 3 cups black-eyed peas cooked
- 1 cup red bell peppers diced
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup pepper jelly
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jalape᷈no pepper seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large peaches fresh, peeled and diced
- 2 cups watercress torn
- Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook 4 minutes or until the bacon is done. Drain on paper towels and crumble when cool enough to handle. Save the drippings for another use and reserve the bacon pieces.
- Meanwhile, gently stir together the peas, bell peppers and onions. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the cilantro, jelly, vinegar, oil, jalape᷈no pepper, salt and black pepper. Shake vigorously to emulsify. Pour over the pea mixture, tossing to coat. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Stir the peaches into the pea mixture and set aside to come to room temperature at least 15 minutes before serving. Place the watercress on each serving plate and top with the pea mixture. Top with the crumbled bacon and serve.