Watermelon Jelly Recipe
By August 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 5 half-pint jars
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 5 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup white wine or distiled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 3-ounce containers liquid fruit pectin
- Place the watermelon cubes in a blender and puree until smooth. Line a colander with a couple of layers of cheesecloth and place the colander over at least a 2-cup glass measure. Place the puree in the prepared colander and allow to strain 15 minutes or until you have 2 cups of liquid. Discard the pulp and transfer the liquid to a large saucepan over high heat.
- Stir in the sugar, wine or vinegar, lemon juice and food coloring. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add the pectin and boil 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and skim off any foam. Ladle into warm half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Use a bubble wand to remove any bubbles; wipe the rims and adjust the lids.
- Place in a water bath canner, making sure the jars are covered by an inch of water. Bring to a boil over high heat and process 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.