Baked French Toast Recipe
By February 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup divided
- 1 large loaf soft French bread cut in 1-inch slices with crusts removed
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, butter and 2 tablespoons of the syrup. Stir until the sugar completely dissolves. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Arrange the bread slices in a single layer on top, pushing the slices tightly together.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, let the casserole stand uncovered at room temperature for 15 minutes. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden-brown. Serve hot with a sprinkling of the powdered sugar and the remaining syrup.