Orange-Glazed French Toast Recipe
By February 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 8 thick slices bread
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet and place in the center of the oven. Bake about 8 minutes on each side until the slices are dry and very lightly browned. Watch carefully so they do not overbrown. Remove from the oven and reduce temperature to 200 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, egg yolks, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of the extract and cinnamon. Pour into a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Add the bread slices and soak them 4 minutes on each side. Remove to a large platter.
- Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium-low heat and add 1 tablespoon of the butter. When melted, add enough bread to fit in a single layer. Cook until the slices are golden-brown and crisp on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove to a baking sheet and place in the warm oven. Repeat, adding more butter to the pan as needed.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, white sugar and the remaining extract. When ready to serve, smear a thin coating of the orange marmalade on each slice and top with a dollop of the sour cream.