Brown Butter and Coconut Brownies Recipe
By April 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 16 brownies
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light or dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Place the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir often until the butter begins to foam. When the foam subsides, stir constantly until the butter is a nutty brown color. Remove from the heat to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut, chocolate chips and salt. When the butter has cooled to room temperature, whisk in the sugars, egg and extract. Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and smooth the top. Bake 22 minutes or just until set.
- The center will be soft, but do not overbake. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares and serving.