Chocolate Layered Coconut Cake Recipe
By April 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 12-15 servings
- 1 18.25-ounce package chocolate cake mix
- 1 3.4-ounce package instant pudding and pie filling
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 16-ounce packages powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure almond or vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 14-ounce package sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two round cake pans and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil and eggs on medium speed for 2 minutes or until well blended. Scrape the sides of the bowl and evenly distribute the batter between the cake pans. Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pans for at least 15 minutes. Remove from the pans, return to the racks and cool completely. Refrigerate the cooled layers 1 hour before frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and shortening at medium speed for about 2 minutes. Add half of the powdered sugar and beat on low speed an additional 2 minutes. Add the remaining sugar, extract and milk, beating another 2 minutes on low speed. Fold in half of the coconut.
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate and spread a heaping half cup of frosting on top. Add the remaining cake layer and frost the sides and top with the remaining frosting. Lightly press the remaining coconut on the top and sides of the cake.