Canned Yellow Squash Pickles Recipe
By October 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 3 pints
- 2 pounds yellow squash peeled and cut into slices
- 2 small white onions peeled, quartered
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- Place the squash and onions in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and cover with cold water, stirring to blend. Cover and let stand at room temperature 2 hours, then drain.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the sugar, celery salt, turmeric, mustard seeds and vinegar to a boil. Pour over the squash and onions. Cover and let stand at room temperature 2 hours.
- Transfer the squash mixture to a large saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Boil 5 minutes. Pack the squash mixture into hot sterilized canning jars. Fill with the boiling liquid, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Remove the air bubbles, wipe the rims and adjust the lids. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath. Cool on a wire rack away from drafts. Store at room temperature.