Because it uses quite a bit of squash, make this terrific summertime dish when armloads of yellow squash need to be picked every single day.
Daily Pick Squash Casserole Recipe
By October 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
Because it uses quite a bit of squash, make this terrific summertime dish when armloads of yellow squash need to be picked every …
- 3 pounds yellow squash cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 small white onion peeled and chopped
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 16 saltine crackers divided
- 1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the squash, onions and 31/2 teaspoons of the salt. Cook 25 minutes, stirring often. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 11-inch-by-7-inch baking dish and set aside. Crush 10 crackers and set aside.
- Drain and coarsely mash the squash mixture with a fork. Add the crushed crackers, 1/2 cup of the cheese, mayonnaise, egg, butter, remaining salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Crush the remaining crackers and sprinkle evenly over the squash. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the squash is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes before serving.