Soul Food Squash and Tomato Casserole Recipe
By October 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 pounds yellow squash sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3 tomatoes peeled and chopped, with juice retained
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups mozzerella cheese shredded, divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a shallow 2-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Combine the squash and water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes or until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine the tomatoes, flour, sugar, salt, paprika, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place half of the squash in the prepared dish. Pour one-fourth of the tomato mixture over the squash. Top with 1 cup of the mozzarella and another one-fourth of the tomato mixture.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining squash, tomato mixture and mozzarella. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan and bake 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.