Cauliflower Souffle Recipe
By May 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1/3 cup water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons dry seasoned breadcrumbs divided
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish and set aside. Cut the florets off the cauliflower stalks and cut into large chunks. Place in a microwave-safe dish and add the water or stock. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When melted and hot, sprinkle with the flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk in the cream and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 2 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan as well as the chives, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks and cheese. Add the cauliflower and set aside.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat at high speed until stiff. Carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the cauliflower mixture and carefully spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- Place the remaining butter in a small microwave-safe dish and microwave on low power for 20 seconds to melt. Stir in the remaining breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle over the top of the cauliflower mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until puffy and golden-brown. Serve immediately.