Cheese and Caramelized Onion Crostini Recipe
By January 1, 2016Published:
- Yield: 8-9 Servings
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened and divided
- 1 large sweet onion peeled and chopped
- 1 large shallot peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 long French baguette cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook about 4 minutes or until brown on one side, then flip and continue cooking until done. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain and cool.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan drippings in the skillet. When melted, increase the heat to medium-high and add the onions and shallots. Stir constantly for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the brown sugar and salt. Cook and stir frequently for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble the bacon. Spread the remaining butter on the bread slices and place them on an ungreased jellyroll pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium for the onions, stirring well. Continue to cook and stir for 20 minutes or until the onions are golden-brown.
- Meanwhile, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, thyme, garlic salt and pepper in a mixing bowl until well blended. Stir in the reserved bacon bits, Swiss cheese and white Cheddar. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake the bread slices for 8 minutes and set aside to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Add the vinegar to the onions and stir well to scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Remove from the heat and stir into the cheese mixture. Spread 2-3 tablespoons onto the top of each bread slice and return to the oven for 8 minutes. Serve warm.