Chicken Salad Casserole Recipe
By January 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 10.5-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 3-pound roasting chicken cooked, skinned and chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 small to medium sweet onion peeled and chopped
- 1 6-ounce can sliced water chestnuts drained
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- Place 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soup, sour cream and mayonnaise. Add the chicken, celery, onions, water chestnuts and parsley, mixing well. Stir in the sautéed mushrooms and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Place the remaining butter in the skillet to melt. Meanwhile, sprinkle the casserole evenly with the almonds, then the cheese. Add the breadcrumbs to the melted butter and remove from the heat. Sprinkle evenly over the cheese.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden-brown and bubbly. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.