Kickin’ Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
By January 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon onion salt divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 shallots peeled and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups whole-kernel corn thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender. Drain and return to the pot. Stir in the milk, butter, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Mash until smooth and set aside.
- Place the beef, garlic and shallots in a large skillet over medium-high heat. As it cooks, break apart the beef with a wooden spoon. Cook 8-10 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink. Drain off the fat.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes and the remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 11-by-7-inch baking dish. Spread the beef mixture in the dish and top evenly with the corn. Spread the mashed potatoes over the corn and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the top is golden-brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving warm.