Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
By April 1, 2016Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces dark chocolate candy bar finely chopped
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 quart strawberries cored and sliced
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the chopped chocolate. With a pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut in 8 tablespoons of the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cream.
With a large spoon, plop 8 mounds of dough onto the prepared pan. Melt the remaining butter and brush over the tops. Sprinkle the raw sugar over each mound. Bake 12-14 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly on a wire rack, then split and serve with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.