Coffee-Glazed Coffee Cake Recipe
By March 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 10 Servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter diced
- 3/4 cup toasted pecans coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee plus 1 1/4 teaspoons, divided
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese cut in small pieces and softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a tube pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the butter and blend with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 3/4 cup of the mixture and add the pecans. Set aside.
- To the remaining flour mixture, add the baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, dissolve 1 tablespoon of the instant coffee in the hot water. Whisk in the buttermilk, egg and extract. Add to the baking powder mixture and stir until well blended.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the pecan mixture. Repeat with the remaining batter and pecan mixture. Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the center of the oven.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack about 45 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen and gently remove the cake from the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and remaining instant coffee. Add the cream cheese and beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Fold in the powdered sugar and beat on low speed until blended. Drizzle over the cooled cake and serve.