Crunchy Pan-Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
By January 1, 2017Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 4 green tomatoes cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic or onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 egg shites
- 3 tablespoons canola oil divided
- Evenly sprinkle tomato slices with the salt and pepper and set aside. Meanwhile, in a shallow dish combine the cornmeal mix and panko. Place the flour in a separate shallow dish. In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy. Place half of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Dredge the tomatoes in the flour and shake off the excess. Dip in the egg whites, then dredge in the cornmeal mixture. Fry the slices about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining oil and tomato slices. Serve warm.
- Note: To keep the cooked slices warm, place on a wire rack over a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven.