Grits and greens Recipe
By April 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 cup regular grits
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces dry chorizo or summer sausage, chopped
- 8 collard green leaves fresh, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine the stock, half-and-half and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Add one cup of water and bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in the grits, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer. Stir occasionally and cook 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo or sausage and cook 2 minutes. Add the collard greens, vinegar, sugar and the remaining salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk the Cheddar, Parmesan, butter, hot sauce and pepper into the grits. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with the collard-green mixture and serve hot.