Cheese Grits Soufflé Recipe
By April 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sweet onions chopped
- 1/2 cup leeks chopped
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grits quick-cooking
- 4 eggs separated
- 3 green onions chopped
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese shredded, divided
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease four (11/4-cup) soufflé dishes and set aside. Place the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When melted, add the onions and leeks and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add 11/4 cups of the milk along with the salt and grits. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining milk with the egg yolks in a small bowl. Remove the grits from the heat and stir in the yolk mixture, green onions and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Beat the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer until stiff. Fold into the grits in three additions. Divide equally among the prepared soufflé dishes (the mixture will come all the way to the rim of the dishes). Sprinkle each with about 1/4 cup of the remaining cheese. Bake 18 minutes or until the soufflés are golden brown on the top. Serve immediately.