Ham and Greens Pot Pie with Cornbread Crust Recipe
By February 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chopped cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 16-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables thawed
- 1 16-ounce package frozen chopped kale thawed
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas drained
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups plain cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Place the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the ham and saute 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle evenly with the flour and cook 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Gradually add the stock and bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the mixed vegetables and kale and return to a boil. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the peas and pepper flakes. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and add the eggs, buttermilk and butter. Stir until just moistened. Pour evenly over the ham mixture. Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown. Serve warm.