Hot Sausage and Chicken Cacciatore
By January 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil light, divided
- salt and pepper
- 4 chicken thighs preferable with skin and bones
- 3/4 pound hot Italian sausages
- 3/4 pound mushrooms quartered
- 2 12-oz containers grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons resemary chopped, fresh
- 1/2 cup basil coarsely chopped, fresh
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken and add to the skillet, along with the sausages. Sauté 5 minutes per side and remove to a large bowl. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and sauté 4 minutes. Add to the same bowl with the chicken and sausages.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet and add the tomatoes, wine, garlic and rosemary. Cover and reduce the heat to medium. Cook 5 minutes. Using a potato-masher, lightly crush the tomatoes. Return the chicken to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the remaining contents of the bowl to the skillet. Simmer uncovered about 15 minutes longer, turning the chicken and sausages often.
- Place the chicken and sausages on a serving platter. Cut the sausages on the diagonal into thick slices. Stir the basil into the tomato sauce. Adjust the seasonings if desired. Spoon over the meat and serve warm.