Individual Caramel Tarts Recipe
By October 1, 2015Published:
- Yield: 50 tarts
- 2 cups sugar divided
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter cut in pieces
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 6 packages phyllo cups
- toasted pecans, sea salt or whipped cream for garnish
- Place 1 cup of the sugar in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 7 to 8 minutes or until the sugar turns golden brown. Stir in the butter until completely melted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, whisk together the remaining sugar, flour, egg yolks and milk. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Add the browned sugar and whisk constantly for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours.
- Spoon the caramel mixture into the phyllo cups and garnish with the toasted pecans, sea salt or whipped cream.