Lentil and Sweet Corn Salad Recipe
By July 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ears corn fresh, husks removed and silked
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 6 basil leaves chopped
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the lentils and barley and cook 10 minutes. Add the salt and boil 10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, onion salt and pepper. Shake to emulsify and set aside.
- Add the corn to the boiling water and cook 5 minutes longer. Remove the corn with tongs and place on a rack to cool slightly. Drain the remaining pot mixture in a large colander. Transfer to a serving bowl and add the peppers.
- When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the ears. Discard the cobs and stir the kernels into the serving bowl. Shake the dressing again and pour over the salad. Let stand 10 minutes before serving with a garnish of the chopped basil.