Mini Strawberry Sandwich Cakes Recipe
By April 1, 2016Published:
- Yield: 12 sandwich cakes
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2 cups freshly whipped cream divided
- 10 large fresh strawberries hulled and capped
- 6 sprigs fresh mint chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the base of each cup in a 12 muffin pan with nonstick baking parchment and butter the sides. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time and add the extract. In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Stir into the butter mixture and add the water.
- With a small scoop, evenly divide the mixture among the 12 muffin cups. Bake 10-12 minutes or until the cakes feel springy to the touch. Cool on a wire rack before removing from the tin.
- Meanwhile, place half of the whipped cream in a pastry bag. Place the remaining cream in a mixing bowl and add three-fourths of the strawberries and mint. Mix well.
- To assemble: Slice the cakes in half horizontally and set aside the tops. Spread the strawberry cream liberally on each of the remaining slices. Replace the tops and pipe a rosette of cream on top of each cake. Top with the remaining strawberries and mint. Refrigerate until ready to serve.