Mixed Greens with Bacon and Fried Pumpkin Recipe
By October 1, 2016Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 1-pound unpeeled pumpkin seeded and cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper divided
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- mixed salad greens
- 2 slices thick cut bacon fried and crumbled
- Place the pumpkin slices in a large steaming basket and put over a large pot of boiling water. Steam about 15 minutes or until each is tender when pierced with a knife. Remove from the steamer and let cool. Then peel and dice in large pieces.
- Place the flour, thyme, 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the pepper in a large zip-top bag. Add the pumpkin cubes and shake to coat. Place 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet and place over medium-high heat. When hot, add half of the pumpkin cubes and fry about 3 minutes, turning to evenly brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining pumpkin.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and remaining salt and pepper. Cover and shake to emulsify. Place the greens on each salad plate and top with the pumpkin and bacon bits. Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.