Southern Tradition Pecan Pie Recipe
By September 1, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 cup corn syrup light
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 pound butter unsalted
- 1 recipe single pie pastry
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups pecans halved
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the syrup, sugar and butter. Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes. Set aside to cool 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place the pastry in a 9-inch pie plate, crimping the edges as desired. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, extract and salt into the syrup mixture until well combined. Stir in the pecans and pour into the prepared pastry shell.
- Bake 55 minutes or until the pie is set. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
- Note: For a Chocolate Pecan Pie, reduce the pecans to 1/2 cup and add 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips.
- For a Bourbon Pecan Pie, omit the extract and substitute 1 tablespoon dark bourbon. Then brush the top of the pie with another tablespoon of dark bourbon when finished baking.
- For a Raisin Pecan Pie, reduce the pecans to 1/2 cup and add 1/2 cup of golden raisins.