Sweet Cherry Jam Recipe
By July 1, 2016Published:
- Yield: 6 pints
- 4 pounds (4 cups) sweet cherries pitted, chopped
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 3-ounce envelope liquid pectin
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- In a large stockpot, combine the cherries and lemon juice over medium-low heat. Add the sugar and stir constantly until it is completely dissolved. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add the pectin and return to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and skim off any foam. Stir in the extract and let cool 5 minutes in the pot. With a canning funnel, ladle the jam into hot jars, leaving 1⁄4-inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles, wipe the rims and cover with the lid, then the screwband. Process in a boiling hot water bath 10 minutes. Remove from the canner and place on a wire rack away from drafts to cool completely 24 hours. Check the seals, tighten the screwbands, label and store in a cool, dark place up to a year.