Brown Sugar Coffee Cake Recipe
By December 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 12 Servings
- 1 cup unsalted butter divided
- 2 cups light brown suger firmly packed, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup of the butter and 1 cup of the brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time, blending well after each addition. Fold in the sour cream and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture, mixing at low speed until blended. Stir in 1 cup of the pecans and spread evenly into the prepared pan. Set aside. In the flour mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut the remaining butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two forks. Stir in the remaining pecans and sprinkle on top of the cake batter.
- Bake 50 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting into squares and serving.