Cornmeal Biscuits Recipe
By December 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon self-rising cornmeal divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening cut in pieces
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour
and 1/2 cup of the cornmeal. Cut in 4 tablespoons of the cold butter and the shortening with a pastry blender or two forks until the dough is crumbly. Cover and refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 500 degrees and sprinkle the remaining teaspoon of cornmeal on an ungreased jellyroll pan. Set aside. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter
in a glass dish in the microwave on low power. Microwave for 20 seconds and stir until melted. Set aside.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the buttermilk, stirring just until moistened. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead four times.
- Roll the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle.
Cut the dough with a 2-inch cutter, rerolling the scraps as needed. Place the cut biscuits on the prepared jellyroll pan. Brush the tops with the melted butter and bake 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.