Dried Cherry Marshmallows Recipe
By December 1, 2016Published:
- Yield: 36 marshmallows
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 6-ounce package dried sweet cherries chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch plus 1/3 cup, divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Place the cold water in a medium heatproof glass bowl and sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand undisturbed 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Then line the sides and bottom with parchment paper and grease the paper. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium high heat, combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and honey. Cook without stirring until the mixture reaches 250 degrees. Then remove from the heat and cool to 220 degrees.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring ½ cup of water to a boil. Place the bowl of gelatin over the water and whisk until liquefied. Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer, adding the food coloring and the cooled syrup. Beat on high speed 5-6 minutes or until the mixture holds stiff peaks.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, toss the cherries with 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch. Fold into the marshmallow mixture and transfer to the prepared pan. Smooth the top with a greased spatula. Let cool at room temperature 6 hours.
- Combine the remaining cornstarch and powdered sugar. Sprinkle a flat surface with some of the mixture and remove the marshmallows from the pan. Discard the parchment paper. Dust more of the cornstarch mixture over the top and carefully rub the sides and edges of a slicing knife to coat. Cut the marshmallows into 36 even cubes. Toss the cut edges with the cornstarch mixture. Store in an airtight container.