Fresh Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
By July 1, 2016Published:
- Yield: 3 pints
- 1 1/2 pounds (3 cups) chopped tomatillos husked, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 large sweet onion peeled and chopped
- 2 large banana peppers seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup jalapeno peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large stockpot, combine the tomatillos, tomatoes, onions, banana peppers, jalapeños, cilantro, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, cumin and salt. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and, with a canning funnel, ladle into hot jars, leaving 1⁄2-inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles, wipe the jar rims and cover with the lid, then the screwband. Process in a boiling water bath 25 minutes.
- Remove from the canner and place on a wire rack away from drafts to cool completely 24 hours. Check the seals, tighten the screwbands, label and store in a cool, dark place for up to a year. When ready to serve, garnish with chopped cilantro.