Lighter Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
By January 1, 2017Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 pound package corkscrew pasta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 12-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic or onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped parsley
- Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. When melted, gradually whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and evaporated milk until smooth and cook 9 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in the Monterey Jack, Cheddar, cream cheese, garlic or onion salt, black pepper and cayenne. Remove from heat and continue to stir until cheeses have melted.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir gently. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, melt the remaining butter in the microwave on low power for 20 seconds. Add the crushed cereal and parsley, stirring to blend. Sprinkle over the pasta and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving warm.