Peppered corn spoonbread Recipe
By September 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 large jalepeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish and set aside.
- Place the milk and cream in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the mixture is just about to boil, add the cornmeal, whisking constantly for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and mustard. Add 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks and stir to combine. Add to the milk mixture, along with the corn, cheese and jalapeños.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites at high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the corn mixture, along with the cilantro. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake 30 to 32 minutes or until puffed and lightly golden. Let rest 5 minutes before serving warm.