Pizza crust Recipe
By May 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 cup water warm
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4-ounce package yeast active, dry
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the water, sugar and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the all-purpose flour, cake flour and salt. Fit the mixer with a dough hook.
- After the yeast mixture has proofed for 5 minutes (it will be foamy), add the oil and mix well. Pour into the flour mixture and mix on low speed for 10 minutes. Note: If you do not have a dough hook for your mixer, knead by hand for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to coat evenly. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and allow to rise undisturbed for about 2 hours or until doubled in size. Punch the dough down and divide into four equal balls. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and allow to rise another hour.
- When the dough is nearly finished rising, prepare the toppings of your choice and preheat the grill on one side to medium-high and the other side to low. On a surface that is lightly dusted with flour, roll out each dough ball into a roughly10-inch circle. Repeat with the other crusts.
- Carefully transfer the dough to the hot side of the grill, close the lid and cook 21/2 minutes. Depending on the size of your grill, you can prepare two crusts at once. Use tongs to flip the crust over and move to the low heat side of the grill. Brush with olive oil and add the toppings of your choice.
- Return the pizza to the hot side of the grill for 4 to 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Check it frequently to prevent burning. Remove with a pizza paddle or the back of a baking sheet. Cook the remaining two crusts while the first two pizzas rest in a low oven or warming drawer. Slice and enjoy.
- Note: No matter which option of toppings you select, don’t overload the crust. Underdressing it will keep the crust crispy and light. Always have freshly grated Parmesan and crushed red pepper on hand for garnishing.